- Offering green-alternative products and services to our customers
- Implementing sustainable business practices and making our print processes more efficient
- Encouraging employees and the community to support environmental stewardship
Greener Products and Services
Prisma is a Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certified printer (FSCC023676) both in Phoenix and our new Nashville plant. We encourage customers to use FSC® paper which is produced, harvested and sold to support environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests.
Sustainable Business Practices
Prisma recycles nearly 2,062 tons of paper, 185 tons of cardboard, and other materials each year, which saves:
- Enough water to fill 21 Olympic-sized swimming pools
- This represents a saving of 123,720 pounds of carbon dioxide a year
- 35,054 trees a year
- And saving 6,186 cubic yards of landfill space saved a year.
Prisma’s state-of-the-art presses utilize UV inks for production. The benefit of UV inks is that they have a lower environmental impact, don’t use solvents, and also produce lower emissions (Zero VOC) than conventional inks. These inks are dry as soon as the sheet comes off the press which eliminates the need for an overall coating as was done in the past.
Using a special web press dryer releases 100% clean air and reduces natural gas consumption by 30% over other dryers.
Prisma has partnered with Packsize to implement on-demand packaging that allows our company to produce shipping boxes in custom specs to eliminate wasted corrugated material. The result of this implementation has resulted in:
- 19,566 pounds of carbon dioxide saved
- 200+ trees saved
Other ways we’ve increased our commitment to the
- Implementing AC units and a custom ventilation system that uses 15% less energy than standard systems
- Paper waste extraction system that pulls out cut off scraps of paper for recycling from the stitchers, Heat-Set Web and perfect binder
- Using a special web press dryer that releases 100% clean air and reduces natural gas consumption by 30% over other dryers
- Purchasing door mats made of 100% recycled tires and plastic water bottles
Employees are encouraged and rewarded for carpooling, utilizing public transportation, and even biking to work, which have saved more than 1,000 commuter trips in 6 months.
- Paper, plastic, aluminum, wood skids, and cardboard waste are collected and recycled
- Employees are encouraged to bring recyclables to work if recycling is not offered at their residence
- A company-wide power-down policy promotes turning off computers, lights, air conditioning and heating, and other energy consumption devices at the end of the work day